Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fall Harvest

This has been an incredibly busy year, without much time to blog. I'm now wrapping up a public art project that I started in the Spring and today I find myself with a little down time. Over the next few days I'll try to write about the various activities that have occupied my time over the past few months, and how they relate to my health and healing.

Today I finally got the chance to spend some time in my gardens, turning over compost and cutting back spent flowers and other plants. There's still a lot growing, as the images below will reveal.

I believe it's important to grow as much of our own food as possible and this year I've been enjoying the process perhaps more than any other year. It's been nearly nine months since I became 100% raw, and walking outside to pick fresh, organic, raw and wondrous ingredients for my meals has been gratifying on so many levels.

I still have lots to harvest - here's parsley, bell peppers and red peppers.










The kale is nearly finished, but there's a new crop of brocolli that's nearly ready, plus lots of tomatoes, tomatillos, collards and cantelope.






My kitchen scraps have turned out the healthiest compost I've ever had - absolutely teeming with worms and other organisms. This is some sort of melon growing out of the compost heap. I'm not sure what it is since I didn't plant it - it must have come from melon scraps and seeds that I threw in there in the spring.









I've been spoiled with such an abundant garden and it's made my raw journey so easy and pleasurable. I plan to keep it going indoors this winter with sprouts, wheatgrass and tender greens.







No comments: